You will find taxis waiting at Athens Airport just outside the arrivals hall. The taxis are there 24/7. There are many taxis available so you will not have to wait in the queue for long.
Many taxi drivers will not use the taximeter, so to avoid any misunderstandings and overcharging, its better to ask the driver to start the meter. If your are travelling between 05:00 in the morning and 24:00 midnight, make sure that the taxi meter is on tarrif 1.
If your transfer is from Athens Airport to Athens Center the fare is fixed to 35 euro from 05:00 am to 24:00 midnight and 50 € at night time (24:00-05:00). The price includes totally everything. Luggage charge, tolls fee, VAT, meter start, airport charge etc. So, you don't have to pay anything more than the above. The same fixed fares apply when you pick a taxi from Athens centre to go to the airport.
If you are a tourist, expect that most taxi drivers will try to charge you more than the normal fare. However, you can avoid been overcharge if you know how much you should be charged and how you should handle the situation. For a list of reasonable taxi charge from Athens Airport check this: Taxi Fares from Athens Airport
Alternatively you can book a taxi online and prepay. One of the best options in Athens is Welcome Pickups. You book online and you receive an email with all the driver’s information before your arrival. The drivers are trained, fluent english speakers and will be waiting for you at your arrival gate holding a board with you name. You don’t pay cash and thus you cannot get overcharged. It also costs same as a regular taxi (35 E for downtown) so you don’t have to spend more to get the most convinient solution. Read some more information about Taxi booking for Athens Airport
Have in mind the following
- The driver is obliged to start the meter. The starting charge is 1,19.
- If you are using the taxi from 05:00 am to midnight the meter should be at tariff 1. From midnight to 05:00 am tariff is at 2, and the charging is double. So make sure the tariff is set to 1 during day time. When arriving to your destination you should pay what the meter shows plus 1 to 2 Euro for the language and 2 Euro which the airport pick-up cost.
- The fare from Athens Airport to Athens centre is fixed: 35 at day time and 50 euro at night
- The fare from Athens Airport to Piraeus is fixed: 45 at day time and 60 euro at night
- Drivers in Greece like to speed. If you don't feel comfortable with speeding ask the driver to go slower. He will understand.
- It's polite to give a tip, thought your are not obliged to do so.
The 50 Euro scam
This is fraud happens quite often. The taxi driver will ask for the fare, for example 35 Euros. The client will pay with a 50 Euro note. Then the driver will complaint and say to you (the client) that you only gave him a 10 Euro note, and he will give it back to you. So you will be a bit confused and you will I give him another 50 Euro note. All in all the fare will cost you 50 Euros more due to this scam technique.
You can avoid that by calling the police or by paying with 10 or 20 Euro notes.